This coming Saturday, July 22nd at 4:40 pm, I’ll be speaking to web development entrepreneurs at WordCamp Boston, being held at Boston University.
The topic of my talk is “Focus“, the single most important component to the success of my digital agency, emagine.
In HBO’s documentary Becoming Warren Buffett, there’s a scene where Buffett and Bill Gates were both asked to write down on a piece of paper the one thing they each felt contributed most to their success. Sure enough, Buffett and Gates wrote the same word down on their respective papers: Focus.
Now, when I talk about “focus”, I don’t claim to know how to avoid multitasking or how to ignore distractions like social media, news, politics and other noise that gets in the way of productivity. I could use a lot of help there.
But, what I’ve done successfully and what I will discuss is how to focus your business.
As far as I know, they don’t teach a lot of this stuff in college. (I can’t be 100% certain as I didn’t spend much time there before dropping out).
I spent the first 10 years of emagine’s history kind of flailing – trying to be everything to everyone, anything to anyone. I managed and did fine, but only once I started to focus did the business take a significant turn for the better.
In my talk, I’ll cover the importance of (and how to) focus on:
• Your strengths
• Your core markets/industries
• A core technology/platform (presumably WordPress)
• The clients you already have who help – not hurt – your business
• The types of projects that are profitable for you (stay within your wheelhouse)
• The path to achieving your goals (without getting distracted by day-to-day challenges)
• Working with the right people
• Working on your business, not in your business
• Your life. Health. Relationships
• Your numbers
• Your differentiating value
• Your long-range vision
Sounds like a lot, I know. And it is.
But, it’s really not that hard. And once you can confidently say you’re laser-focused on everything I’ve outlined here, trust me when I tell you that you’ll have dramatically improved your business, your earnings and your lifestyle.
For more info on talks throughout the weekend, visit WordCamp Boston’s website or follow @WordCampBoston and #wcbos on Twitter.